Re: ERROR: failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: ERROR: failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text
Date
List pgsql-hackers
As I mentioned, we cannot change the query, so adding casts to the query is not an option. I was looking for something external to the query, like a CREATE CAST command that'd resolve the issue.

Best regards,

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello

2009/1/6 Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>:
> Q1: select '' union all select ''
> Q2: select '' union all select * from (select '' ) as s
>
> version: PostgreSQL 8.3.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400
>
> Hi All,
>
>     Q1 works just fine, but Q2 fails with:
>
> ERROR:  failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text
>
>     Q2 is a generalization of a huge query we are facing, which we cannot
> modify. I don't think this is a 'removed-casts' problem generally faced in
> 8.3, but I may be wrong. Will adding some cast resolve this?

yes

postgres=#  select '' union all select * from (select ''::text ) as s;
 ?column?

(2 rows)

regards
Pavel Stehule