Re: ERROR: failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: ERROR: failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/1/6 Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>:
> As I mentioned, we cannot change the query, so adding casts to the query is
> not an option. I was looking for something external to the query, like a
> CREATE CAST command that'd resolve the issue.

I am sorry, I blind - I tested casting on 8.3.0 and it doesn't work
(but I am have old 8.3)
postgres=# create function unknown2text(unknown) returns text as
$$select $1::text$$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# create cast(unknown as text) with function
unknown2text(unknown) as implicit;
CREATE CAST
postgres=# select '' union all select * from (select '' ) as s;
ERROR:  stack depth limit exceeded
HINT:  Increase the configuration parameter "max_stack_depth", after
ensuring the platform's stack depth limit is adequate.
CONTEXT:  SQL function "unknown2text" during startup
SQL function "unknown2text" statement 1
SQL function "unknown2text" statement 1
SQL function "unknown2text" statement 1
SQL function "unknown2text" statement 1
SQL function "unknown2text" statement 1

It working on 8.4

postgres=# create cast (unknown as text) with inout as implicit;
CREATE CAST
postgres=# select '' union all select * from (select '' ) as s;
 ?column?

(2 rows)

regards
Pavel Stehule