Re: pg_upgrade + Extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade + Extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 08/31/2015 07:32 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Still, I don't know how many people are doing this, but the right fix is
>> to get the names of the modules that are superceeded and tell pg_upgrade
>> to skip them.

> I don't think this knowledge should be hardcoded in pg_upgrade. I could
> see some point in a switch that would tell pg_upgrade a list of
> extensions to ignore.

That would not be terribly helpful for cases where the pg_upgrade call is
embedded in some wrapper script or other.

In any case, there is plenty of precedent for hard-coding knowledge about
specific version updates into pg_upgrade.  The question here is whether
it's feasible to handle extensions that way.  I think we could reasonably
expect to know about cases where a formerly separate extension got
integrated into core, but are there other cases where pg_upgrade would
need to ignore an extension in the old database?