Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> You can surely make things a lot worse for those that are using other
> operating systems.  I certainly don't agree with making changes just
> because Red Hat blew it.

It does appear that the problem can be blamed entirely on the RPM
packaging of Tcl.  I tried configuring from source on RHL 7.2, and
neither tcl 8.3.2 nor 8.3.4 produce a "soname" switch in TCL_SHLIB_LD.
In fact, grep can't find any occurrence of "soname" anywhere in the
Tcl source distribution.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure that "do nothing" is an acceptable response
on our part.

I tried setting up pltcl's makefile to dike out the offending switch:

override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst %soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))

but could not get it to work --- gmake's pattern matching logic seems
to be too brain-dead to cope with more than one % in a pattern.  And

override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst -Wl,-soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))

doesn't work either; apparently there's no way to escape the comma.
Anyone know a cute hack to get gmake to do this?