Re: Enable data checksums by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Enable data checksums by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08.08.24 19:19, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback. Please find attached three separate patches.
> One to add a new flag to initdb (--no-data-checksums), one to adjust the
> tests to use this flag as needed, and the final to make the actual
> switch of the default value (along with tests and docs).

I think we can get started with the initdb --no-data-checksums option.

The 0001 patch is missing documentation and --help output for this
option.  Also, some of the tests for the option that are in patch 0003
might be better in patch 0001.

Separately, this

-        may incur a noticeable performance penalty. If set, checksums
+        may incur a small performance penalty. If set, checksums

should perhaps be committed separately.  I don't think the patch 0003
really changes the performance penalty. ;-)