Re: Updated propsoal for read-only queries on PITR slaves (SoC 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Updated propsoal for read-only queries on PITR slaves (SoC 2007)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Another possibility would be to move this setting into the
> recovery.conf. The problems
> with this approach is that the recovery.conf file is deleted after
> the information
> it contains is incorporated into pg_control. Thus, the readonly
> setting would need to
> be stored in pg_control too, making it impossible for the user to
> change it later
> (e.g, after interrupting and restarting WAL replay which is
> possible with 8.2)

I think it would be best to very clearly divide setting up a cluster
as a read-only slave from doing an actual recovery. One obvious way
to do this would be to require that all read-only GUCs have to live
in postgresql.conf and not recovery.conf. There's probably some other
more elegant solutions as well.