Re: Updated propsoal for read-only queries on PITR slaves (SoC 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Updated propsoal for read-only queries on PITR slaves (SoC 2007)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> Another possibility would be to move this setting into the
>> recovery.conf. The problems
>> with this approach is that the recovery.conf file is deleted after the
>> information
>> it contains is incorporated into pg_control. Thus, the readonly
>> setting would need to
>> be stored in pg_control too, making it impossible for the user to
>> change it later
>> (e.g, after interrupting and restarting WAL replay which is possible
>> with 8.2)
>
> I think it would be best to very clearly divide setting up a cluster as
> a read-only slave from doing an actual recovery. One obvious way to do
> this would be to require that all read-only GUCs have to live in
> postgresql.conf and not recovery.conf. There's probably some other more
> elegant solutions as well.

The main argument for putting this into recovery.conf ist that it changes
the behaviour only during recovery. Much like restore_command ist
part of the recovery.conf. But I agree that overall postgresql.conf
seems saner.

greetings, Florian Pflug