Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
Re: Auto creation of Partitions  ("Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
NikhilS wrote:
> iv) Based on the PRIMARY, UNIQUE, REFERENCES information specified,
> pass it on to the children tables.

How will you maintain a primary key in such a table, considering that
indexes can't span multiple tables?

> 1) Whether we should use triggers/rules for step number (iii) above.
> Maybe rules is the way to go.

Since this would basically be a case of the updatable rules problem, you
should review those discussions in the past to check whether the issues
mentioned there don't interfere with that plan.

> 2) What other attributes (access permissions e.g.) of the master
> along with the ones specified in (iv) should be passed on to the
> children.

Moreover, how are later changes of those attributes propagated?

--
Peter Eisentraut