Re: Vacuuming unicode database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuuming unicode database
Date
List pgsql-general
"Tambet Matiisen" <t.matiisen@aprote.ee> writes:
> Table pg_group is giving errors, because I have group name with 8-bit
> characters in it. As I understand, groups are common for all databases
> and pg_group is created during initdb, so it should be considered having
> SQL_ASCII charset, not UNICODE. Seems like a bug to me?

Unfortunately, we don't have any way of dealing with different character
sets or locales in different tables.  (AFAICT this is not practical
without implementing our own locale library, which would be an enormous
task; someday we will solve this problem, but don't hold your breath.)
So pg_shadow, pg_group, and pg_database are all risk spots.

I think the best advice is to limit your user/group/database names to
7-bit-ASCII if you are going to use different encodings in different
databases.  That way, they'll look valid in all databases.

            regards, tom lane