Re: Vacuuming unicode database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Vacuuming unicode database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:50:03PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Unfortunately, we don't have any way of dealing with different character
> sets or locales in different tables.  (AFAICT this is not practical
> without implementing our own locale library, which would be an enormous
> task; someday we will solve this problem, but don't hold your breath.)
> So pg_shadow, pg_group, and pg_database are all risk spots.

All this stuffing around with multiple locales and collating stuff on the
fly. Surely we're not the only project to have to deal with this problem?
Someone must have come up witha set of routines to deal with this. If it
can be abstracted into a library to share around it could be made much
easier.

> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Attachment