Re: Looking for some help with cascading updates... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mark True
Subject Re: Looking for some help with cascading updates...
Date
List pgsql-sql
I guess I should have clarified.  I am having trouble figuring out how to construct the IF statement to see if that item exists in the foreign table something like:

count=select count(*) from table;

if count=0 {
insert fkey into myOtherTable
}

On 4/18/06, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
Mark True <darfoo@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Here is the question:
>
> I have a situation where I need to create triggers to cascade an insert
> operation to many tables to maintain foreign key constraints.
>
> So at a high level
>
> INSERT INTO myTable (Name, Address, Zip) VALUES ('Mark', '3 Dingle St.',
> '01832')
>
> myTable has a relation to two other tables, which contain Zip and Address.
> Before I insert into  myTable I want to:
>
> Check if '3 Dingle St.' exists in table Address, if not insert it
> Check if '01832' exists in table Zip and if not insert it

For such task i write a function (plpgsql). This obtains all parameters,
do the checks and insert into the other tables and the table with the fk
constraints.

HTH, Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°