Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 10beta1 / OpenBSD : compilation failed with libxml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 10beta1 / OpenBSD : compilation failed with libxml
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Pierre-Emmanuel André <postgresql@raveland.org> writes:
> I still have an issue with OpenBSD -current and PostgreSQL 10beta1.

> common.o: In function `psql_get_variable':
> common.c:(.text+0x114c): undefined reference to `appendShellStringNoError'
> mainloop.o: In function `MainLoop':
> mainloop.c:(.text+0xcd): undefined reference to `psql_scan_set_passthrough'
> startup.o: In function `main':
> startup.c:(.text+0x1b01): undefined reference to `psql_scan_set_passthrough'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like you are somehow linking to a pre-v10 version of
libpgfeutils.a.  Maybe that is installed in /usr/local/lib or someplace?

> When i remove --libxml everything runs fine.

That's odd.  I think --with-libxml changes the set of -L directives,
which could be a mechanism to explain that, but it's sure not clear
why libxml would be bringing libpgfeutils along with it.

Note to hackers: seems like we'd better arrange for
-L../../../src/fe_utils to appear earlier in psql's link command
than it now does.  I think we thought we could get away with being
sloppy because we weren't planning on libpgfeutils getting installed
anywhere ... but that idea seems to have gone by the wayside.