Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 10beta1 / OpenBSD : compilation failed withlibxml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pierre-Emmanuel André
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 10beta1 / OpenBSD : compilation failed withlibxml
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:36:41AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Pierre-Emmanuel André <postgresql@raveland.org> writes:
> > I still have an issue with OpenBSD -current and PostgreSQL 10beta1.
>
> > common.o: In function `psql_get_variable':
> > common.c:(.text+0x114c): undefined reference to `appendShellStringNoError'
> > mainloop.o: In function `MainLoop':
> > mainloop.c:(.text+0xcd): undefined reference to `psql_scan_set_passthrough'
> > startup.o: In function `main':
> > startup.c:(.text+0x1b01): undefined reference to `psql_scan_set_passthrough'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> It looks like you are somehow linking to a pre-v10 version of
> libpgfeutils.a.  Maybe that is installed in /usr/local/lib or someplace?
>
> > When i remove --libxml everything runs fine.
>
> That's odd.  I think --with-libxml changes the set of -L directives,
> which could be a mechanism to explain that, but it's sure not clear
> why libxml would be bringing libpgfeutils along with it.
>
> Note to hackers: seems like we'd better arrange for
> -L../../../src/fe_utils to appear earlier in psql's link command
> than it now does.  I think we thought we could get away with being
> sloppy because we weren't planning on libpgfeutils getting installed
> anywhere ... but that idea seems to have gone by the wayside.

Hi Tom,

You're right. My build environnement was fucked up (2 versions of PostgreSQL).
I cleaned up and now everything runs fine:

# select version() ;                version
PostgreSQL 10beta1 on x86_64-unknown-openbsd6.1, compiled by cc (GCC) 4.2.1 20070719 , 64-bit

(But it seems that libxml changes the order of -L directives)

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,