Re: Page Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Page Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 4 bytes out of a 8k block is just under 0.05%. I don't think anyone is
> going to notice the extra disk space consumed by this. There's all those
> other issues like the hint bits that make this a non-starter, but disk
> space overhead is not one of them.

The bigger problem is that adding a CRC necessarily changes the page
format and therefore breaks pg_upgrade.  As Greg and Simon already
pointed out upthread, there's essentially zero chance of this getting
applied before we have a solution that allows pg_upgrade to cope with
page format changes.  A CRC feature is not compelling enough to justify
a non-upgradable release cycle.