Re: Page Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Page Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 21.12.2011 17:21, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure that our shop would want to dedicate any space
> per page for this, since we're comparing between databases to ensure
> that values actually match, row by row, during idle time.

4 bytes out of a 8k block is just under 0.05%. I don't think anyone is
going to notice the extra disk space consumed by this. There's all those
other issues like the hint bits that make this a non-starter, but disk
space overhead is not one of them.

INHO we should just advise that you should use a filesystem with CRCs if
you want that extra level of safety. It's the hardware's and operating
system's job to ensure that data doesn't get corrupt after we hand it
over to the OS with write()/fsync().