Re: monitoring database activity on solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: monitoring database activity on solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> writes:
> According to the 7.4 doc section on monitoring database activity, one
> should be able to see the current activity happening in a given postgres
> process. It mentions that on Solaris (which we are running on) you need
> to use /usr/ucb/ps, and it also says
>
> " your original invocation of the postmaster command must have a shorter
> ps status display than that provided by each server process "

Yeah.  This is a Solaris peculiarity that we only figured out by chance.
The best bet is to make sure that your postmaster start script invokes
the postmaster as
    postmaster
no more.  No path (set PATH beforehand instead).  No command-line
switches (whatever you might want there can be put into postgresql.conf
instead).  Redirection is OK, but keep the command line itself to a
minimum.  "postmaster" and nothing else will be shorter than any of the
ps display settings the postmaster's children use ... but if you have a
bunch of command-line arguments, it'll be longer, and Solaris' ps will
choose to display the wrong thing.

            regards, tom lane