monitoring database activity on solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Parker
Subject monitoring database activity on solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
According to the 7.4 doc section on monitoring database activity, one should be able to see the current activity happening in a given postgres process. It mentions that on Solaris (which we are running on) you need to use /usr/ucb/ps, and it also says

" your original invocation of the postmaster command must have a shorter ps status display than that provided by each server process "

All I seem to get in my ps is the full postmaster command with all its invocation parameters, and I don't see the postgres process itself. I can't seem to get that full path + parameters out of the postmaster display, if that is even the problem....

I realize that this might be more a Solaris question than a postgres one, but we have a recurring situation where we have a lot of processes chewing up cpu long after all clients have gone away, and that process display would help a great deal! I'd be grateful to anybody running Solaris for any advice.

Thanks.

- DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130