Re: News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 17, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Wow, very cool David.

Thank you! I am far from an XML expert but with so many friends on the
php pear
development team it was just a 7  hours job :D

> This is something we have talked about having before,
> and we seem so close now I think we need to find a way to make it
> happen.
> David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than the main
> server...
> just curious if there was any reason why?

Egoism ;) ?? Kidding of course.

I am not sure how this might effect the load on the main
www.postgresql.org for one.
if someone adds the rss feed to his site, he might  hit the server
every hour or every 30 minutes. Many news aggregators, which are now
default
in a number of CMS like Postnuke, Drupal, Phpnuke, Slashcode do that
and you need to be careful if you have
some limits on the server traffic.

The second reason is because this is not something official and I
didn't want to bother anyone.

> I am thinking if we could set up
> www.postgresql.org/news.rss we could make that a public news feed that
> folks
> could pull from.

Sure, I am ready anytime but I would like to further explain: I am
currently parsing the news from our mirror, adding the news on the
database
and then I manipulate the news for the feed. This is not the normal way
to do it. Assuming that the news are already in a database, one of my
scripts might
not be required on the official site.

Secondly, I think we need to provide a number of feeds aka news and a
feed for each of the main mailing lists.

>  It would also be included in the mirror system if someone
> needed to pull a local feed (though it would be slightly delayed).
> The only
> question I would have is how does this fit in with the web code
> rewrite /
> translation stuff?

I am not sure. For the time being you can use our "alpha" feed url.
Talking about advocacy, I think that the feeds are a great tool.

The second easy to implement feature is the ip to country. This will
display, on the download page, something like this " We detected that
you are from
$country"  example http://www.php.net/my.php

Advantage? this will enhance the overall browsing and download
experience. Visitors in Austria will hit the local mirror with a better
performance
and less load on the main box.

Eventually I am not suggesting a quick adoption of these tools. I will
keep working on these features and if there is an interest for official
adoption, I am here
to help as always.

All the best,
David Costa