Re: Alter table with arrays - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alter table with arrays
Date
List pgsql-novice
igor <igor_kh@mailru.com> writes:
>  Help me please to alter table with arrays .
> And now I would like to increase the number of colomns of array from
> two to tree. What is the way to fulfill these operation?

As of 7.0.*, the only way to change the size of an array is to replace
the whole array, ie,
    UPDATE table SET arraycol = '{ .... }'

I have recently fixed the array code so that you can enlarge an array
by assigning to an element or slice.  For example, given an array with
current dimensions [1:3] you can assign to array[4] (or array[0], or
array[2:7], etc).  Restriction: you can't leave "holes" in the array,
so it only works for 1-D arrays.  This will appear in 7.1.

            regards, tom lane