Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases
Date
Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases  (Adam Tauno Williams <adamtaunowilliams@gmail.com>)
Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases  (Nis Jørgensen <nis@superlativ.dk>)
Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases  (Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de>)
List pgsql-sql
chester c young <chestercyoung@yahoo.com> writes:
>> SELECT field1 / 2 AS foo,
>> field2 * 2 AS bar,
>> foo + bar AS total
>> WHERE foo < 12;

> First, I think it would be great if this worked - like the alias to an
> update table added in 8.2  - saves a lot of typing and makes queries
> much more readable.

This is not an "extension", it is *directly* contrary to both the letter
and spirit of the SQL standard.  I can hardly believe that M$ did that
... oh, actually, I can entirely believe it.  The OP has a serious
problem of vendor lockin now, and that's exactly what M$ wants.
        regards, tom lane