Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adam Tauno Williams
Subject Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases
Date
Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
> chester c young <chestercyoung@yahoo.com> writes:
> >> SELECT field1 / 2 AS foo,
> >> field2 * 2 AS bar,
> >> foo + bar AS total
> >> WHERE foo < 12;
> > First, I think it would be great if this worked - like the alias to an
> > update table added in 8.2  - saves a lot of typing and makes queries
> > much more readable.
> This is not an "extension", it is *directly* contrary to both the letter
> and spirit of the SQL standard.  I can hardly believe that M$ did that
> ... oh, actually, I can entirely believe it.  The OP has a serious
> problem of vendor lockin now, and that's exactly what M$ wants.

"AS" works in Informix, and I believe, in DB2 as well.  So it is at
least pretty common;  I'm not saying it is correct.  Since Informix
predates M$-SQL they at least didn't invent it.