Transaction table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Deepa Thulasidasan
Subject Transaction table
Date
Re: Transaction table  (Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
List pgsql-general
Dear All,

I have a query in postgresql if any one can support.

A transaction table in a vehicle tracking application is  inserted with the current position of each vehicle at regular
interval(seconds).
This  transaction table consists of 12 columns, which are of the type varchar, time, numeric or double precision. A new
transactiontable is created every day. Total number of records at the end of the day is around 1 million records. Data
isonly inserted in to this table and there is no update or delete. This table is indexed using 2 columns. Now, we are
expectingthis transaction table to grow by 10 times in near future. In this regard, we would like to know if this same
structureof the transaction table and the indexing would be sufficient for quick retrivel of data  or do we have to
partitionthis table? If so what kind of partition would be suitable?

Awaiting positive reply.

Regards,
Deepa.