Re: pgsql 10.19 : "ERROR: cannot convert infinity to numeric" except there is no infinity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: pgsql 10.19 : "ERROR: cannot convert infinity to numeric" except there is no infinity
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19/7/22 20:32, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 7/19/22 10:26 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Thank you Adrian!
>
> Actually thank:
>
> https://sqlformat.darold.net/
>

>> Στις 19/7/22 18:36, ο/η Adrian Klaver έγραψε:
>>> On 7/19/22 03:38, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>>>
>>> I reformatted queries to see thing better.
>>>

>>> AND numrange(ceptl.min_alarm::numeric, ceptl.max_alarm::numeric, '()') @> cept.value::numeric
>>> ORDER BY
>>>     1;
>>>
>>> So the above fails. In your title when you say there is no infinity that means the cept.value, ceptl.min_alarm or
ceptl.max_alarm fields do not have any '-infinity' or 'infinity' values, correct?

>> There is infinity in cept.value , just not in this result set.
>> I got confused and wrongly assumed that since the result set (without the filter in the WHERE clause including
cept.value::numeric)did not contain any infinity it should also work with the filter

>> in the WHERE clause. Apparently a subplan executes this conversion in the WHERE before the other filters. I did not
doany analyze to prove this.

> Have you tried:
>
> NULLIF(cept.value, 'inf')::numeric
no, cause the CTE version worked. Will keep in mind for similar future problems.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
DBA, Analyst, IT Lead