Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date
Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> ... How hard would it be to get psql to
>> send notice output into a \g file?

> \g (and \o) send only the query results to a file.  The idea is that you
> want to save the results, but if there's a warning or error, you want to
> see it.  We could add alternative commands (\G and \O?) that save the
> notices and errors as well.  Not sure if this is useful beyond this
> application.  In non-interactive situations you'd usually use shell
> redirections to save all output.

The other possibility is to make EXPLAIN output look like a SELECT
result.  Not sure how hard this would be to do, but in the long run
I suppose that would be the direction to move in.