Re: Allowing usernames in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Allowing usernames in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> This is definitely stressing pg_hba past its design limits --- heck, the
> name of the file isn't even appropriate anymore, if usernames are part
> of the match criteria.  Rather than contorting things to maintain a
> pretense of backwards compatibility, it's time to abandon the current
> file format, change the name, and start over.

The pg_hba.conf thing is slowly growing to become a bad excuse for a
completely general authentication system, such as PAM.  Instead of
creating our own, maybe we could rip off the "BSD authentication" system
from some free *BSD.  I haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be like (or
"better than") PAM.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net