A generic trigger to log chanes on database tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Ambrose
Subject A generic trigger to log chanes on database tables
Date
Re: A generic trigger to log chanes on database tables  (Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-general
Hi!

Is there a way that I could create a trigger that logs the changes (updates, deletes) of a table? I mean, I want to put in a table the changes to any table in a database and also put in the table the column that was modified and the corresponding value.

My audit table looks like this:

Table name: TableChangesLog
Columns: ChangeID int not null auto_increment --> Primary Key of table
               TableName -> Name of table modified
               ColumnName -> Column modified
               ColumnValue -> The original value
               Operation -> "Update" or "Delete"

My idea is to create a generic trigger that will log all changes for all database tables.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance ...