Re: WAL usage calculation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date
Re: WAL usage calculation patch  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
Re: WAL usage calculation patch  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-04-07 04:12, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 05:01:30PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I noticed in some of the screenshots that were tweeted that for example in
>>>
>>>      WAL:  records=1  bytes=56
>>>
>>> there are two spaces between pieces of data.  This doesn't match the rest of
>>> the EXPLAIN output.  Can that be adjusted?
>>
>> We talked about that here:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200402054120.GC14618%40telsasoft.com
>>

> Yeah.  Just to brief here, the main reason was that one of the fields
> (full page writes) already had a single space and then we had prior
> cases as mentioned in Justin's email [1] where we use two spaces which
> lead us to decide using two spaces in this case.

We also have existing cases for the other way:

     actual time=0.050..0.052
     Buffers: shared hit=3 dirtied=1

The cases mentioned by Justin are not formatted in a key=value format,
so it's not quite the same, but it also raises the question why they are
not.

Let's figure out a way to consolidate this without making up a third format.