Re: CASE CLOSED... Re: "peer" authentication: cannot make "pg_ident.conf" work as I believe that the doc says that it should - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryn Llewellyn
Subject Re: CASE CLOSED... Re: "peer" authentication: cannot make "pg_ident.conf" work as I believe that the doc says that it should
Date
In response to Re: CASE CLOSED... Re: "peer" authentication: cannot make "pg_ident.conf" work as I believe that the doc says that it should  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> david.g.johnston@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> bryn@yugabyte.com wrote:
>>
>> This is what I see. I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VM using Parallels Desktop Version 18.
>>
>> # adduser 'dog$house'
>> adduser: To avoid problems, the username should consist only of
>> letters, digits, underscores, periods, at signs and dashes, and not start with
>> a dash (as defined by IEEE Std 1003.1-2001). For compatibility with Samba
>> machine accounts $ is also supported at the end of the username
>>
>> I tried your longer version verbatim:
>>
>> useradd -m -s /bin/bash 'mac$crooge'
>>
>> and that quietly succeeded. I'd left out "-m" and "-s" because, for an ordinary username, I get the home directory
thatI want and the (bash) shell that I want without explicitly asking for these.

>> It's bizarre that, merely by being explicit about these two fact, I'm now allowed to have a name with a
dollar-sign—notwithstandingwhat the text of the earlier error message claimed. I wondered if that it wasn't an error
messageat all—and was just a warning. But "cat /etc/passwd" showed me that "dog$house" had not been created while
"mac$crooge"HAD been.

> Also note the "useradd" != "adduser" - you are running two different commands.  One of them is stock Linux while the
otheris provided by Ubuntu (probably Debian, actually, too lazy to research specifics).

Yes, indeed. I couldn't muster the strength to mention that piece of silliness. This explanation:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/345974/what-is-the-difference-between-adduser-and-useradd

is on a relatively trustworthy site. And its account sound  plausible. (Maybe I should say the its ountacc sounds
sibleplau.)

My reading of it is that  "adduser" is to be preferred. It certainly seems to be what you normally see in various
randomexamples on the Internet.

Anyway, my conclusion remains the same. I'll stick with "clstr_mgr" for my O/S user.