Re: More message encoding woes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More message encoding woes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>> What is wrong with checking if the codeset is valid using iconv_open()?

> That would probably work as well. We'd have to decide what we'd try to
> convert from with iconv_open().

The problem I have with that is that you are now guessing at *two*
platform-specific encoding names not one, plus hoping there is a
conversion between the two.

If we knew the encoding name embedded in the .mo file we wanted to use,
then it would be sensible to try to use that as the source codeset.

> GNU gettext() uses iconv, but I'm
> not sure if that's true for all gettext() implementations.

Yeah, that's another problem.