Re: More message encoding woes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: More message encoding woes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> What is wrong with checking if the codeset is valid using iconv_open()?

That would probably work as well. We'd have to decide what we'd try to
convert from with iconv_open(). Utf-8 might be a safe choice. We don't
currently use iconv_open() anywhere in the backend, though, so I'm
hesitant to add a dependency for this. GNU gettext() uses iconv, but I'm
not sure if that's true for all gettext() implementations.

Peter's suggestion seems the best ATM, though.