Re: type unknown - how important is it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: type unknown - how important is it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> I just had a customer complain about this. My understanding is that
> unkown is a constant which has not been typed yet. Is it possible for it
> to be a binary type, if so how ?
> I would think it should only ever be a string?

You can read "unknown" as "string literal for which the query does not
provide sufficient context to assign a definite type".  I dunno what the
OLE driver really needs to do with the datatype info, but I suppose that
treating this as equivalent to "text" is not unreasonable.  Ask the
complainant what *he* thinks it should do.