Re: Are we mischaracterising mysql? Re: 12 Silver Bullets - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Are we mischaracterising mysql? Re: 12 Silver Bullets
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
derek.rodner@enterprisedb.com ("Derek Rodner") writes:
> Ron,
>
> Talk about spin...  I just read the Sabre case study that you pointed
> out.  It is interesting how they portray it because I sat in a case
> study at Gartner's Open Source Summit that was given by the guys at
> Travelocity.  What the case study DOESN'T tell you is that NONE of the
> transactions run through MySQL.
>
> The entire backend for actual transactions runs on Oracle.  When you go
> to Travelocity and do all your searches, that is pulling data from
> MySQL.  The MySQL data is updated from Oracle back end databases.  When
> you decide to purchase, the system then switches to Oracle where all the
> real work happens.  MySQL is used for read-only work at Sabre.

I was under the impression that IMS was still the primary database
system "of choice" for the high end OLTP work.

That was the case when I was there, and for that to have been dropped
would have required *much* louder trumpeting of change than I have
seen...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html