Re: DBA-Village Poll - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: DBA-Village Poll
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> Lewis Cunningham wrote:
>> I thought some of you might be interested in a poll DBA Village is
>> running (they have a weekly poll).  The question is "Which database
>> do you consider the biggest threat for Oracle".
>>
>> Right now SQL Server is running at 42%.  That boggles the mind.
>
> Why does that boggle the mind?
>
> I would have said DB2 - which has almost half Oracle's share ($3.2B
> vs $7.2B) - until I saw that Oracle's growth rate in database revenue
> has recently been faster than IBM's.   In contrast, Microsoft, while
> smaller is growing database revenue much faster than either IBM
> or Oracle.

I have seen some indications that the prime source of DB2 revenues has
been mainframe sales, as opposed to "smaller" platforms, and that the
amount of sales on Unix and Windows has been vanishingly small.  I do
not know to what degree to believe that.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html