Re: Trigger email? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Trigger email?
Date
List pgsql-general
cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com (CSN) writes:
> Is it possible to setup a trigger so that every time a
> certain field is changed, an email is sent? Using
> pl/pgsql.

Something _like_ that is possible.

What I would do instead is for the trigger to cause a record to be put
into a table that might be called something like "submit_email".

An asynchronous process (that might look for NOTIFY requests!) would
then rummage thru submit_email to find messages it needs to send.

That allows you to keep this sort of thing under some degree of
control.

- It means you're not concurrently spawning 157 MTA connections; the
  "mail manager" only needs to open _one_ connection

- It means you have some ability to manage how much mail gets sent out
  at once.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html