Re: Trigger email? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Hedstrom
Subject Re: Trigger email?
Date
List pgsql-general
Christopher Browne wrote:

>cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com (CSN) writes:
>

>>Is it possible to setup a trigger so that every time a
>>certain field is changed, an email is sent? Using
>>pl/pgsql.
>>

>Something _like_ that is possible.

you can also do it directly with a trigger if you prefer:

CREATE TRIGGER alert_insert
    AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON alert FOR EACH ROW
    EXECUTE PROCEDURE alert_notify();

Where the alert_notify() function would then call pgmail() with a
meaningful subject and body etc -- see below

>What I would do instead is for the trigger to cause a record to be put
>into a table that might be called something like "submit_email".
>
>An asynchronous process (that might look for NOTIFY requests!) would
>then rummage thru submit_email to find messages it needs to send.

at which point you could then use pgmail() to send the email

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgmail/

Attachment