Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
aly.dharshi@telus.net (Aly Dharshi) writes:
> I know I am wadding into this discussion as an beginner compared to
> the rest who have answered this thread, but doesn't something like
> pgpool provide relief for pseudo-multimaster replication, and what
> about software like sqlrelay wouldn't these suites help to some extent
> ? Looking forward to be enlightened.

pgpool and sqlrelay provide you a loose equivalent to synchronous
replication, as they have to submit the queries to *all* of the nodes.

If you can live with the long latency times that result if the nodes
are widely separated, that's great.

Unfortunately, the reason for people to want *asynchronous*
multimaster replication is that they /cannot/ afford that latency
time.  They want to submit updates only to the local database, and
have the updates head to the other server some time later.

That's why pgpool/sqlrelay aren't an answer.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html