Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
david.goodenough@btconnect.com (David Goodenough) writes:
> On Thursday 25 August 2005 13:03, William Yu wrote:
>> As far as I know, nobody has a generic solution for multi-master
>> replication where servers are not in close proximity. Single master
>> replication? Doable. Application specific conflict resolution?
>> Doable.  Off the shelf package that somehow knows financial
>> transactions on a server shouldn't be duplicated on another?
>> Uhh...I'd be wary of trying it out myself.
>
> The most obvious one that does exactly this (generic multi-master
> replication) is Lotus Domino.  It is not a relational DB, but not
> sufficiently far off to stop the analogy.

There's a better known case, and that's PalmOS "PalmSync."

It does fairly much the same thing as Lotus Notes(tm).

In both cases, they are doing something that works reasonably well for
data that looks somewhat like "documents."  Conflict resolution at the
"document" level is something that users can handle pretty well by
hand.

Unfortunately, for data that's more at the "hordes of little facts"
level, conflict resolution is a tough problem :-(.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html