AIX Permission weirdness - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Chris Browne
Subject AIX Permission weirdness
Date
List pgsql-ports
In the interests of helping others that might run into this, and so
that if we ever Google for this, we may find it...  :-)

We recently ran into fairly weird regressions on AIX.  Shared
libraries wouldn't load, which assortedly meant that:
- plpgsql couldn't be loaded
- Slony-I stored functions couldn't work
- regression tests wouldn't work

The typical result:

-bash-3.00$ /opt/dbs/pgsql748-afilias-AIX53-2005-10-19/bin/createlang plpgsql template1
ERROR:  could not load library "/opt/dbs/pgsql748-afilias-AIX53-2005-10-19/lib/plpgsql.so": A memory address is not in
theaddress space for the process.
createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not load library
"/opt/dbs/pgsql748-afilias-AIX53-2005-10-19/lib/plpgsql.so":A memory address is not in the address space for the
process.

The evident problem is actually on the permissions...

After modifying plpgsql.so to have "777" permissions (which was
doubtless more open than necessary, but hey, it took 2 seconds to
think of it :-)), the library loaded in fine.

It is very worthwhile to have this note around because we did a lot of
searching around as to possible issues with dlopen() which didn't
report anything even vaguely suggestive that permissions were not set
permissively enough...
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html