Re: Oracle VP on MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Oracle VP on MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
ned@nedscape.com (Ned Lilly) writes:
> It is unlikely that MySQL can rapidly accelerate development of
> their core product while acquiring and integrating disparate
> database technologies like the SAP DB (now called MaxDB) or MySQL
> Cluster. Indeed, this sort of 'engineering by acquisition' is a
> distraction and fragments their development efforts."

I'm more than half-expecting them to start a "campaign" to deprecate
MySQL in favor of MaxDB.

There are, after all, only two real choices:

 1.  They can disperse their efforts by trying to support and enhance
     both, and thereby do the "divide and conquer" thing where all
     they conquer is themselves;

 2.  They can pick one as the "way forward," and hang their hopes on
     it.

Seeing as how the place where the VC funds came in was in support of
SAPDB/MaxDB, so since their bread was buttered that way, it would seem
surprising for that not to win the day...
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html