Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
>> Looking at the documentation, it appears that all of the server
>> encodings represent 7-bit ascii characters using the same 7-bit ascii
>> representation. Is that true?
>
> Correct.  We only support ASCII-superset encodings, both for frontend
> and backend.
>
> Limiting NOTIFY payloads to 7-bit would definitely avoid the issue.
> The question is if that's more of a pain than a benefit.

I think it's a reasonable restriction for now.  We have limited time
remaining here; and we can always consider relaxing the restriction in
the future when we have more time to think through the issues.  It'll
still be a big improvement over what we have now.

...Robert