Re: PostgreSQL 8.5 Open Items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.5 Open Items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 16:47, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure whether we ever posted this schedule anywhere official -
>>> if so, I can't find it - but my understanding is that we have
>>> consensus on the release schedule described here:
>>>
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg01251.php
>>>
>>> Under this schedule, the last CommitFest for the 8.5 release will
>>> start 3 weeks from today.  As I think many of us remember, the last
>>> CommitFest for 8.4 was extremely long and was followed by some amount
>>> of further delay before we were able to go to beta.  I believe that we
>>> have made a lot of progress in how we manage CommitFests this release
>>> cycle, and I am fairly confident that we will be able to wrap up the
>>> last CommitFest in a timely fashion.  I am personally committed to
>>> doing whatever I can to make sure that happens and hereby volunteer to
>>> manage the last CommitFest, unless someone else would like to take a
>>> crack at it, in which case by all means feel free.
>>>
>>> The open items list is a source of somewhat more concern for me,
>>> because while patches can be bounced if we run out of time, open items
>>> don't just go away.  I've added two items I know about here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.5_Open_Items
>>>
>>> I would encourage anyone else who is aware of open items to begin
>>> adding them to this list, adding sections as necessary.  Last time
>>> around, we ended up assembling our initial list from a dump of one of
>>> Bruce's mail folders.  I'm not sure whether that's the best way to go
>>> about it, but if we're going to do it that way, we should do it SOON,
>>> so that we start to get an idea what the must-fix issues are before we
>>> get down to the wire.  We have a little time on any issues that are
>>> must-fix for the final release, but the scheduled gap between alpha4
>>> and beta1 is quite short, so anything that is must-fix for beta is
>>> something we need to start thinking about soon.  We can't do that,
>>> though, until we first have a list of items and a decision about which
>>> ones fall into that category.
>>
>> I was slightly surprised not to get any responses to this email.
>> Alvaro added one or two things to the page mentioned above, and I
>> added the bugs I posted about yesterday, but that's it.  Are there
>> really no other open issues for 8.5?  That would be great, but I am
>> concerned that there may be other things that people just haven't
>> gotten around to mentioning yet.
>
> Well, I have a couple of things in the win64 stuff still to go, but
> that patch is active on a CF page still, so I haven't added it to the
> list yet...

Yeah, I'm not worried about the patches on the CF page.  I have
confidence we'll be able to kill all those off - we can commit them,
postpone them, or reject them.  What I'm worried about is people
showing up at the last minute and saying "we can't release until we
decide what to do about these 20 issues". I don't want to wait until
late February to have that conversation.

>> Also, should I assume that the silence in response to this email
>> indicates that everyone likes the plan where I manage the next
>> CommitFest?
>
> Certainly +n from me :-)

Hopefully n>0.

...Robert