Re: Range types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Range types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I also have to say that I'm very skeptical of the argument
>> that there is only a small list of types people will want this for.
>
> I'm not sure that anyone has argued that.  I did suggest that there
> might be a small list of types for which we should provide discrete
> behavior (ie, with next/previous functions) and the rest could have
> continuous behavior (without that assumption).  But I quite agree
> that we want both types of ranges.

Oh, I think you're right.  I guess I'm skeptical that the set for
which discrete treatment is appropriate is a small, fixed set, too.
Unless hard-coding that assumption buys us some really significant
economies, I think we should avoid doing so.

...Robert