Re: Compiling HEAD with -Werror int 64-bit mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Compiling HEAD with -Werror int 64-bit mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/15/09, Florian G. Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
> On 15.12.09 16:02 , Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Florian G. Pflug"<fgp@phlo.org>  writes:
> >
> > > configure fails to recognize "long" as a working 64-bit type
> > > because the does_int64_work configure test produces warning due to
> > >  a missing return value declaration for main() and a missing
> > > prototype for does_int64_work(). (Aain, those warning are turned
> > > into errors by -Werror).
> > >

> > autoconf's test programs tend to be sufficiently sloppy that I would
> > expect -Werror to break a whole lot of things, not just this. We can
> > possibly neaten up the particular test case but there are many tests
> > whose expansion we don't have much control over.
> >

>  Yeah, I expected all hell to break loose - only to be pleasantly
>  surprised by this being the only issue I encountered. So I figured
>  fixing this might be worthwhile - even if this surely does not fix
>  -Werror builds on all platforms and/or compilers.
>
>  Alternatively - is there a way to use -Werror only for building the
>  actual sources, not the configure tests? I didn't find one, but my
>  autoconf-fu is pretty limited...
 make CC="gcc -Werror"?

to make it easier to use we could add --enable-werror switch to
configure, which adds the -Werror as a last step in configure,
or maybe even in Makefile, so the autoconf tests stay working.

--
marko