Re: community decision-making & 8.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: community decision-making & 8.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Alvaro
> Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake escribió:

>>> Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?
>>
>> Core is a decision-making committee.  A release manager is a person,
>> maybe two, but a committee doesn't work (unless they'd split up tasks in
>> tickets and have them assigned etc, but I don't see -core doing that.)
>
> Previous emails from Tom seem to indicate that the mandate of -core is
> mostly to decide things like the timing of releases.  If we gave that
> job to somebody else, would there be anything left for -core to do?
> If so, what?  And on the flip side, it is precisely because of the
> lack of a clear statement on release timing from -core that we're
> having these discussions here on -hackers.  Personally, I think that's
> better, since -core is a private list (why?) to which most of us don't
> have access, and I don't see any reason why decisions like this can't
> be made in public.
>
> The only

Heh.  Thankfully that wasn't one of the emails that needed to be
edited for tone before I sent it, or at least I hope not.  Anyway, to
finish the thought, the only reason I can think of why we might not
want to publicly discuss release timing is to the extent that it is in
reaction to security vulnerabilities.

Anyway, I'm still curious about what'n'all -core actually does.

...Robert