Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Right now we have a situation where most web developers aren't using
> ROLEs *at all* because they are too complex for them to bother with.  I
> literally couldn't count the number of production applications I've run
> across which connect to Postgres as the superuser.  We need a

I have one database that is set up with a reporting user (read only on
everything).  It requires constant maintenance.  Every time an object
is added or deleted (or dropped and recreated, like a view, which I do
ALL THE TIME to work around the inability to add/remove columns) the
permissions get shot to hell.  I finally crontabbed a script that
fixes it every 20 minutes.  I had another database where I tried to do
some real permission separation and it was just a huge pain in the
ass.

Grant on all isn't gonna fix these problems completely, but it's a
start.  The DefaultACL stuff is another important step in the right
direction.  Documenting how to use PL/pgsql to do this stuff is an
EXCELLENT idea, but it's not a complete substitute for providing some
usable SQL-level facilities.

...Robert