Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me
Date
Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Andy Lester <andy@petdance.com> writes:
>> And if you're an Emacs person, you can help figure out what the
>> modeline should be for Emacs, and we can get that in there, too.
>
> If you're an Emacs person, you fix it in your ~/.emacs file so that
> every .c file in the Postgres tree is automatically handled with the
> correct mode.  Surely vi apologists can make their editor do the same.
>
> Let me make it perfectly clear that a patch to add either vi or emacs
> decoration to every file in the tree will be rejected out of hand.
> We had a similar thing for awhile with the .sgml files, and got rid of
> that because it sucked ...

For what it's worth, I agree with Tom.  This sort of thing is more
annoying than useful.  There are other ways to solve this problem.

Speaking of space/tab settings, one thing I'm fuzzy on is the rule for
wrapping long lines.  I understand that a line that extends past 80
characters has to be wrapped, but the amount of indentation on the
continuation line doesn't appear to follow a consistent pattern - or
does it?

...Robert