Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> BTW, it might be worth pointing out that \d has never worked like that;
> for instance "\d pg_class" gives me an answer anyway.  So holding up the
> table behavior as a model of consistency that other \d commands should
> emulate is a pretty weak argument to begin with.

So in 8.3.5, which is what I currently have in front of me:

\d lists all tables, sequences, views
\dt lists user tables only
\d *foo* shows detailed information on all user and system tables,
sequences, and views that have foo in the name
\dt *foo* lists (without detail) all user tables
\d foo shows detailed information about foo, regardless of whether foo
is a user or system object
\dt foo shows detailed information about foo, provided it is a user table

So it appears that \dt only switches to detail mode when given a
specific object, not when given a wildcard, whereas \d switches when
given either a wildcard or a specific object, and only lists when
given no arguments at all.  I agree that is pretty weird.

...Robert