Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> You're ignoring the fact that tables and functions are different and
> are used differently.  In particular, most of the system catalogs are
> not really meant to be used directly by users, which is surely not
> true for functions and operators.
>
> However, having said that, I'm not averse to unifying the behavior
> as long as it's done in a sensible fashion.  Imposing the old behavior
> of \dt on everything else is simply not that sensible fashion.

Do you have another proposal?

Although I agree with you that there's more of a case for a user
wanting  looking for system functions/operators than there is for
looking for system tables, I think it's important that there is some
EASY way to get only user functions, or only system functions, when
that's what you want.  In 8.3, you can get that for tables but not for
functions, and it is a huge pain in the neck.

Since there are only a limited number of characters in the alphabet,
it's not going to be possible to have a two-letter sequence for
everything someone might want to do.  We are only talking about one
extra character to get at the stuff in the system catalog, though I'm
curmudgeonly enough to wish it weren't a capital letter so I could
avoid having to hit the shift key.

...Robert