Re: pg_restore recognizing $-quotes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_restore recognizing $-quotes
Date
List pgsql-patches
At 12:47 AM 19/08/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>I don't want to do that, but I did think that a simpler alternative
>would be to inhibit pg_restore from attempting to parse FUNCTION
>entries.  I can't see any strong need for it to do so.

I don't like hard-coding stuff based on the TOC tags; but we *might* be
able to get away with a more general rule: do not parse if it's an object
definition (as opposed to data).

In the longer term I think we will need to continue to parse TOC entries.
In playing around with pg_dump(all), I put user definitions in one TOC
entry. For those, we will need to add as many users as possible and ignore
individual failures (something we can't to if a single multi-statement
string is sent to the backend). Other TOC entries may need to be atomic.
Not sure.

If the patch is not kosher, then I'd vote for adding a "do not parse" flag
on the TOC entries when dumping them. Or a statement count.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp.mit.edu:11371       |/