hooks for supporting third party blobs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Davies
Subject hooks for supporting third party blobs?
Date
Re: hooks for supporting third party blobs?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
A recent project of ours involved storing/fetching some reasonably large datasets in a home-brew datatype.  The datasets tended to range from a few megabytes, to several gigabytes. We were seeing some nonlinear slowness with using native large objects with larger datasets, presumably due to the increasing depth of the btree index used to track all the little pieces of the blobs.

After some careful consideration, we implemented an alternative to large objects, a system based on storing files in a particular directory, and storing a reference to the files in the database. It worked and gave us good and consistent performance. However, it doesn't support transactions (no isolation, no rollback). We can probably implement some backend code to support such functionality, but the trick is getting the postgres server to keep our code in the loop (so to speak) about when a rollback should be done (and to when).

Is anyone aware of any hooks to support schemes such as ours, or has solved a similar problem?

Thank you.

Eric Davies, M.Sc.
Barrodale Computing Services Ltd.
Tel: (250) 472-4372 Fax: (250) 472-4373